Thursday, April 9, 2015

Minnie & Mickey Mouse: Genders


Queer theory is the most interesting theory to me. That may be because there’s no end point. As a woman myself (socially constructed of course), I’m portraying a woman by what I’m wearing today. I’m wearing a pink flannel, tight jeans and black boots. I dress like this because it’s how I learned how women dress. Which is where Judith Butler comes in, “Drag is not the putting on of a gender that belongs properly to some other group, i.e. an act of expropriation or appropriation that assumes that gender is the rightful property of sex, that masculine belongs to male and feminine belongs to female….There is no proper gender”. We dress up as men and women based on our society and how we think we should be dressed when in reality, there is no such thing.
 

I used Minnie and Mickey Mouse as an example because they both have distinct colors to them. Minnie is usually dressed in all pink with a bow while Mickey is red. In this case, Mickey is dressed up in a tux which is considered manly. I colored Minnie different colors because you can easily change her gender to a more masculine type because after all, gender is something you can put on. But Butler would argue, no matter what she’s wearing, it’s always considered drag.

When studying the queer theory, a question I thought of was is gender is anatomically created then why is gender being used to describe drag but after talking to Robin, I did understand it, BUT I completely forgot how to put into words. Gender is socially constructed by feminine and masculine?

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to take a stab at your last question, but I am not totally following it! Maybe this will help: Butler would argue that even anatomy is socially constructed. What this means is that even though some people have vaginas and some have penises (and some have combinations), the way we associate those things with gender-- with the idea of being a man or being a woman-- all of that is completely separate from anatomy. It's socially constructed, not biologically determined. For hard core queer theorists, there is nothing at all that is natural or essential, since everything is understood through language and through culture. Does this help at all? Some chat anytime and we can try to go through your question a bit more. This is a solid post on drag, though I am not totally sure how much you feel you understand queer theory as a whole...

    ReplyDelete