Thursday, April 23, 2015

Living on the Borderlines of the Present

After only reading a few lines of the Introduction to The Location of Culture by Homi K. Bhabha, one particular jumped out at me and resonated with me. In the first paragraph, Bhabha says "Our existence today is marked by a tenebrous sense of survival, living on the borderlines of the 'present'" (Bhabha 1). This quote makes me think of how everyone is just trying to survive in this world. It's like were always on edge in the present waiting for something to happen in the future. This is my interpretation as to what borderlines of the present meant. I am not sure if I am looking at this quote wrong, but this makes sense to me. Bhabha continues his thoughts to talk about the "beyond" which he describes as being "neither a new horizon, nor a leaving behind of the past.....we find ourselves in the moment of transit where space and time cross to produce complex figures of difference-and identity, past and present, inside and outside, inclusion and exclusion" (Bhabha 2).

For my photo, I chose this picture which I found on Flickr. This photo is called Sunset and is owned by Mikael Svensson.  I chose this picture because when reading about the "beyond" all I could think of was a sunset. The lake or water setting reminded me of the present, the current, while the sun and clouds reminded me of the future, was yet to come. The in between, where the sky would meet the water made me think of the "beyond", that in between the now and the coming. This also made me think about the cultural segregation that Bhabha talked a lot about. The division of people, like the middle of the sunset divides the water and the sky.

 
 

I guess I am really curious as to what others thought of the beyond and what they chose for pictures to represent such an ideal. I hope that people can understand what I was getting to here with my picture and my explanation. It makes perfect sense to me, but I am wondering if it is easily distinguishable to others. Would Bhabha understand this interpretation?

1 comment:

  1. Good! Tracing this through more of the article would have been nice, but you definitely hit on a nice, strong image and guiding quote which will help you process the text as a whole.

    ReplyDelete