Thursday, April 16, 2015

I Jacques La-literally-can't

I, Emmett Warren, am not a professional theorist, or a psychologist. I have my limits, and they are shallow.

I understand this: The mirror stage (or phase) is a time in an infant's life when it recognizes itself in the mirror - and stop. The explanation by many goes on past this, but the words run together and I'm out.

I wanted to say yes, of course I'll get this, I got through Judith Butler and Freud - so a conglomeration of the two would be at least manageable, right?

When I heard "mirror stage" I immediately thought of the Rugrats episode "mirrorland." I looked it up and tried to apply it.

(Don't mind the backwards frames to avoid copyright issues, it actually sort of works in a way, since it's mirrored)

 

This is the section I  really wanted to understand - it is the first paragraph of the body of Gesalt
It seems this excerpt talks about "an exteriority in which this form is certainly more constituent than constituted" and "a castrating size that fixes it and a symmetry which inverts it...in conflict with the turbulence of the motions which the subject feels animating him" - so the infant knows it's moving, its behavior, but maybe not why.

The Rugrats video depicts a group of infants trying to determine what they are viewing in the mirror. I realized while typing this that the mirror stage must actually mean imitation of others more than just "looking in a mirror." To revive this, you might say that in every Rugrats episode, the infants do attempt to imitate grown-ups. In this sense, the video helps explain the connection between  development and observation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment