Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Right of Literary Passage

 Konnikova's article on reading digital documents raises numerous good points on the direction I which reading and education has been headed in for some time now. I would say since the introduction of the Kindle to consumers, reading documents digitally has increased exponentially. Just two days ago, it was brought to my attention that our school bookstore now offers many of the required texts digitally
     
It is important for readers to be able to read and gleam information from multiple sources and their respective mediums. 

I find it interesting that Konnikova notes the tendency of readers to skim when reading digital documents versus more intense reading of tangible books, as well as readers' claims that it feels as though they have not actually read a document unless they have physically touched the paper. It could be argued that the majority of readers share in this opinion, and it creates some sort of aversion to reading digital documents.

Personally, I think that where many schools now provide new laptops to their students, or at the very least to their classrooms for shared use, it is vital that students learn how to appropriately and accurately read digitally. 

Some people think that this is a downfall in our society because of how quickly it has changed before our eyes. Honestly, it is only a matter of time before textbooks become obsolete and all are available on all digital mediums, not just kindle. This being said, students have every right to be taught how to be active digital readers now, when it's reaching more fame. 
The app I am using is called iAnnotate and it can be used for highlighting and editing in many dimensions. I purchased this on the App Store for my iPad because I will be able to sync it to all of my devices in iCloud. It is very easy to navigate and utilize.


1 comment: